Alice and Martin Provensen...
Award Winning Children's Book Authors and Illustrators
From a shared beginning of work in animation movie studios to a seamless 43 year partnership and an idyllic marriage, Alice and Martin Provensen's myriad artwork is featured on this website. With over 60 books to their credit their lifetime of work spans their collaboration as illustrators, then author/illustrators, Martin's solo sketchbooks, and Alice's published books after Martin's death in 1987. A newly published book by Chronicle Chroma (March 2022) entitled The Art of Alice & Martin Provensen, details their work and features interviews with notable friends such as former New Yorker editor Bob Gottlieb, and their daughter, Karen Provensen Mitchell. Their work is owned by family and private collectors and is not for sale through this website at this time.
Books by Alice and Martin Provensen that are still in print:
1) The Golden Mother Goose- originally published in 1948
2) The Color Kittens- originally published in 1949
3) Katie the Kitten- originally published in 1949
4) The Fuzzy Duckling- originally published in 1949
5) The Fireside Cook Book by James Beard- originally published in 1949
6) A Child's Garden of Verses- originally published in 1951
7) The Provensen Book of Fairy Tales - originally published in 1971
8) Our Animal Friends at Maple Hill Farm - originally published in 1974
9) The Year at Maple Hill Farm - originally published in 1978
10) A Visit to William Blake’s Inn- originally published in 1981
11) The Glorious Flight - originally published in 1983
The book by Alice Provensen that is still in print is……
12) A Day in the Life of Murphy - 2003
Many other Provensen books are available for sale on Amazon.